2019 »

IREG Update November 2019

IREG met on the 13th November 2019 and discussed the following MRA Issue Forms (MIFs) and Electricity Central Online Enquiry Service (ECOES) changes.

MIF219 – Full review of the Working Practice Product Set (WPPS)

IREG received an update of the progress of the review. IREG noted the further analysis carried out on the remaining Working Practices and agreed to continue the review. It noted that the review was almost complete and that three Working Practices (WPs) could still potentially be removed from the WPPS. The group discussed how the remaining WPs would be displayed on the MRASCo website once the review is complete.

MIF288 – Industry Contacts Database

IREG were advised that Gemserv had received several contact data cleanse spreadsheets from parties. It was noted that Gemserv were now in the process of managing and processing the data for the data cleanse and converting it to the format required for by the MRASCo website Technical Service Provider (TSP). It was advised that the processing activities would be completed by the end of the week commencing 18th November 2020 and then passed over to the MRASCo website TSP for amalgamation.

MIF294 – Suppliers can require New Connection Registrations without a meter installed to be cancelled.

The Proposer of the MIF advised that the issue would be picked up within the scope of the Balancing and Settlement Code (BSC) Issue 86 Workgroup, which would be meeting in December 2019. It was agreed that the MIF would remain open with an update on progress through the BSC to be brought to the January 2020 IREG meeting.

MIF303 – Amendments to MAP28 as a result of the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG)

The Proposer of the MIF presented IREG with a draft MRA Agreed Procedure (MAP) which combined the guidance held in MAP28 with the guidance within MAP27 to create a single MAP for the Import and Export MPAN processes. The group discussed an issue whereby the appointed Meter Operator MOp for the Import MPAN would have to be the MOp for the Export MPAN although the Export Supplier may not have a commercial relationship with that MOp. It was agreed that a conversation would be had between the BSC, Suppliers and MOps ex committee around this subject and the findings would be brought to IREG at the next meeting. IREG noted and discussed the newly drafted MAP and highlighted areas where more information would be required. The Proposer agreed to make the minor amendments to the MAP and it was agreed that the new MAP would be taken to the November 2019 MRASCo Development Board (MDB) where it would be issued for Impact Assessment. A Supplier agreed to act as Sponsor for the change.

MIF305 – Change Management for Meter Point Administration Service (MPAS) Validation Procedures

The Proposer introduced the issue and advised that the MRA states that Distribution Businesses are required to document the MPAS Validation Procedures applicable to the MPAS Registration System and should publish these to Suppliers. It was highlighted that there have been several changes to the MPAS Validation Rules, but generally the changes are made to the MPAS Validation Rules by the MPAS Technical Service Provider (TSP) outside of the MRA Change Process, the new rules go live and a subsequent change is made to the MRA after the event to reference the correct version of the document. The Proposer advised that the MIF did not propose a solution however, and just wanted to understand why the documented process was not being followed.

The group discussed the reasons why Suppliers would need to see the Validation procedures and how not having visibility of them prior to a DTC change go live date was causing operational issues.  The group discussed the role of Distribution Businesses in the MPAS Validation Rules change process. Distribution Businesses advised that the MPAS TSP would only make changes to the Validation Rules based on what was detailed in the final Change Report.

It was highlighted that it had not always worked that way in the past whereby MPAS had processed and validated Data Flows in a way which was not expected. The group discussed ways in which the Validation Rules could be shared with Suppliers prior to release at length.

The Proposer asked if Suppliers would need to; just have view of the document before release; visibility and have the opportunity to comment; or if Suppliers would like to be involved with the drafting of the Validation rules. The majority of Suppliers advised that they would primarily need to see the document before go-live and that they would appreciate the opportunity to Impact Assess the Validation Rules. The group discussed the ownership of the document and discussed the vires of the MRA in this situation. The group came to the conclusion that this issue required more discussion by Distribution Businesses and the MPAS TSP, it was agreed that this issue would be raised at the Service Management group at their next meeting in December 2019 and the outcome of discussions would be brought back to the January 2020 IREG meeting.

MIF306 – MAP08 – Missing/Disputed Read Process Issues

The Proposer advised that the Disputed Reads procedure detailed within MAP08 was not being followed correctly by Industry and asked IREG to discuss if the agreed procedure was fit for purpose. The group discussed the process and agreed that the MAP was enough but that this could be a Performance Assurance issue that would require additional steps in the audits. IREG discussed the BSC Audits and discussed if this would pick up the entire process. It was highlighted that the MRA could provide a training session on how to correctly follow the process. IREG agreed that a Request for Information (RFI) would be issued to Suppliers to identify common issues that are present with other Suppliers in the process and to identify specific areas where training could be useful. The RFI would be issued for a 10 Working Day Impact Assessment and to discuss the responses at the December 2019 IREG meeting.

SPF106 – Improvements to the D0268 Data Flow

The Proposer presented IREG with an updated CP for improvements to the D0268 Data Flow based on the Impact Assessment responses to SPF106. IREG noted the CP and the Proposer invited comments. There was a question regarding Commissioning Dates on the Data Flow. The Proposer advised that this fell outside the scope of the CP and agreed to discuss this issue ex committee. There were no further comments and it was agreed that this CP would be taken to the December 2019 MDB meeting to be issued for Impact Assessment.

Secure Communications – New MAP

The Proposer presented the new MAP for Secure Communications and the associated CP. IREG noted the MAP and discussed before agreeing the drafting of the MAP. It was agreed that the CP would be taken to the December 2019 MDB meeting to be issued for Impact Assessment.

Secure Communications – Updates to Existing MAPs

IREG noted the draft CP and the amendments to MAP04, MAP08, MAP09, MAP10, MAP12, MAP13, MAP14, MAP21 and MAP24. The group discussed the MAPs and asked the Proposer for clarification that the MAPs referred to personal data only to be sent through the Secure Data Exchange Portal (SDEP). The Proposer advised that they had been conscious to ensure that this was covered off within all the MAPs. The group noted that the template for what constitutes and is required for an escalation had been removed from MAP10 and asked if this had been reflected in the drafting of all of the MAPs. The Proposer advised that this was the case and that the template would appear on screen when using the SDEP. The group asked for a list of the Data Items that would be required for an escalation to be present in the MAP.

A Distribution Business asked if there would be an option to send bulk uploads through the system, the Proposer advised that this should be the case, but it would be raised with the SDEP TSP as a design consideration. It was agreed that the CP would be taken to the December 2019 MDB to be issued for Impact Assessment.

Safeguarding Customer Working Group (SCWG) Update

The SCWG representative advised that the last SCWG meeting took place on the 10th October 2019 where the group discussed the progress with water companies, it was advised that further engagement was required from water companies to understand and engage with Data Flows. It was highlighted that Water UK were fully engaged with the group. It was advised that the next SCWG meeting would be taking place on the 14th November 2019 with the focus being a review of the Data Share agreements and the aim was to draft a single Data Share agreement for all parties to sign.

The next IREG meeting is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 11th December 2019.

MDB Update: October 2019

MDB was held on 31st October 2019. The table below shows the Change Proposals, voting outcomes and implementation dates.

CP Reference Implementation Date Outcome
MAP CP 0316 - Update to MAP 29 to incorporate Half Hourly Related Metering Points 25th June 2020Accepted
DTC CP 3571 - Incorporation of Additional D0311 DTC Data Flow Notes Omitted from DTC CP 3529 25th June 2020Accepted
SPF 106 - Improvements to the D0268 n/aClosed to be discussed at IREG
WPPS CP 0147 - Delete WP76 from WPPS 27th February 2020 Accepted
DTC CP 3569 – Review of the valid set of codes under J1253 data item25th June 2020 Accepted

IREG Update October 2019

IREG met on the 9th October 2019 and discussed the following MRA Issue Forms (MIFs) and Electricity Central Online Enquiry Service (ECOES) changes.

MIF219 – Full review of the Working Practice Product Set (WPPS)

IREG received an update of the progress of the review. IREG noted the further analysis carried out on the remaining Working Practices and agreed to continue the review. It noted that there were still Working Practices (WPs) that could be removed from the WPPS due to redundancy. As such it agreed that the drafted Change Proposal (CP) to remove WP141 could be progressed to MDB.

MIF288 – Industry Contacts Database

IREG were advised that Gemserv had completed the internal User Acceptance Testing (UAT) alongside the MRASCo Website Technical Service Provider (TSP). IREG noted that Gemserv had received several data cleanse contact spreadsheets from parties, however, it had been identified that a vast proportion of the data was incomplete. The Chair advised that the spreadsheets would be reissued out for parties to complete and return.

MIF301 – Post Implementation review of the DTC CP 3554

The Chair presented the breakdown of the D0304 and D0312 Data Flow Validation Rules to the group. IREG noted the information presented and agreed that this detail breakdown should be included within the MPAS Validation Rules Document. The Proposer highlighted that since the MIF was raised the number of rejections they had been receiving had reduced significantly and asked the group if they would like to continue the post implementation review. IREG agreed that there was still an issue with how the rejections of both sets of Data Flows and how they are corrected. IREG noted further that data and an understanding of the types of problems occurring would aide them in coming to a solution.

IREG considered gathering further data from Electralink on the volumes of D0304 and D0312 Data Flows sent across the Data Transfer Network, the amount of these Data Flows which had been accepted and the volumes which had been rejected. IREG noted that this request may potentially require the request from MRASCo Executive Committee. The group discussed other potential routes to gather further information would be to issue a Request for Information (RFI) to Suppliers and Meter Operators (MOps). This information would help to identify issues that the MOp community are having with the process and Suppliers in order work out a solution to fix the problems or understand what other data may be required to supplement the analysis of the issue from Electralink. IREG agreed that a RFI would be drafted and the questions to be asked and for it to be issued to industry with a deadline to allow for discussion at the December 2019 IREG meeting.

MIF303 – Amendments to the MAP 28 as a result of the Smart Export Guarantee

The Proposer highlighted that MAP 28 provides a governed process and an agreed response time for the request, and creation of Export MPANs. The scope of which only includes instillations included in the Feed-In Tariff Scheme, and therefore will not extend to Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) instillations when the scheme goes live on the 1st January 2020. It was advised that whilst reviewing MAP 28 the Proposer had identified erroneous references to incorrect Data Flows, it was suggested that these were fixed alongside the SEG work in the MAP.

The Proposer presented IREG with a strawman MAP 28 incorporating the changes required for the SEG rollout and asked the group for comments on the drafting. IREG advised that MAP 28 and MAP 27 were very similar and suggested discontinuation of MAP 28 with the procedure being incorporated into the current MAP 27. The Proposer agreed to draft a fusion strawman MAP of MAP 27 and MAP 28 and would present this to IREG at the next meeting.

MIF304 – Issue with parties sending D0170 Data Flows

The Proposer advised that their company had received over 6,000 D0170 requests for Domestic Property meter information from a Supplier due to the fact that their Meter Operator (MOA) going into receivership and that there was no advance notice of this bulk request. They advised that this was not the first instance of this nature. IREG were advised that Suppliers using the SoLR process for a change of MOA should in the first instance utilise the processes put in place by the Regulator. The existing Supplier is still required to fulfil their regulated requirements under the various codes to ensure a smooth transfer of the data the to the appointed SoLR. In addition, if the Supplier wishes to obtain information from the Distribution Business then it should enter a bi-lateral agreement re the bulk change of Agent. The Proposer asked IREG for their views on the issue and any possible solutions. The group discussed the MIF and agreed that the governance for this process lies within the BSC Procedures and as such should be discussed in a BSC Forum. The Proposer agreed and advised that a BSC Issue Form would be raised instead. The Proposer agreed to close the MIF.

Safeguarding Customer Working Group

The Safeguarding Customer Working Group representative advised IREG that the SCWG project was still progressing with the water companies to share Priority Service Register (PSR) data via the DTN and D0225 Data Flow. IREG noted that the Joint Programme Board meetings are continuing with the next meeting scheduled for the 10th October 2019 with the main goal being to review the project status, the next steps and set key milestones. It was confirmed that a small number of Water companies had enquired about having their Gateways set up and to be provided with access to the DTN.

CSS Updates to the ECOES URS

IREG were advised that Ofgem’s Faster Switching Programme required changes to central systems within the Industry including ECOES and were provided with an update from the programme’s Design Build Test (DBT) phase. IREG were presented with a version 1.3 and 1.4 of the ECOES Interface Specification which had been updated following the receipt of versions 8.0 and 8.1 of the Central Switching Service (CSS) Physical Interface Design. IREG endorsed the changes to this document. IREG noted that since the September 2019 meeting there had not been any further changes to the previously endorsed ECOES URS and ECOES API Webservice Interface Specification.

Secure Communications

IREG were presented with the Secure Data Exchange Portal (SDEP) Use Cases which had been agreed prior to IREG at a meeting of the SDEP Work Group which had been attended by a number of MRA and SPAA parties as well as the ECOES TSP. IREG were advised that the Technical Specification for the service had been received from the ECOES TSP and was being reviewed and look to be available for IREG to review at the November 2019 meeting. Some concerns were noted by some members of the group but were advised that Work Group had considered those and agreed they were not required. IREG further noted that amendments to naming conventions may be able to be considered at some point if any issues once receive the technical solution. It was highlighted that the legal review by the lawyers had recently been received on the Access Agreement and would require considerations by MRASCo Board first for approval. IREG noted that the MRASCo Board would also look to provide a view on the industry consultation period for the service. IREG were advised that a number of MRA Agreed Procedures (MAPs) would need to be updated to make reference to the SDEP, and that those would be brought to IREG in the coming months.

P379 (Enabling consumers to buy and sell electricity from/to multiple providers through Meter Splitting)

A BSC Representative provided IREG with a presentation on the activities which have taken place so far since P379 had been raised by the Proposer. It was noted that the activities of the group had been to design a new model for Meter Splitting to allow for a Primary and a Secondary Supplier to a meter for an end consumer be billed along with Settlements and Duos invoicing being correct too. A number of scenarios where presented with different options of how the Data Collection and the Settlement arrangements for the Meter would work. It was advised that a potential Use Cases for this service would be for community energy groups funding a certain percentage of usage. The BSC Representative took IREG through several issues that had been identified such as what would happen if there is Capacity Charging in place on the site or Smart Prepayment metering customers. IREG noted that there would be a need to have some kind of indicator in order to register a customer/Meter in CSS under faster switching. Currently that is done by MPAN, but you may need additional ones for the same site but may not be Related as the Supplier would be different. It was advised that a cost benefit analysis should be undertaken to ensure that the uptake of this service warrants the potential considerable cost although it will need authorisation from Ofgem. The implementation date of this service was predicted to be around 2021.

IREG advised that this could be a difficult time for parties to implement a large change like this with the CSS go live and the roll out of the market wide Half Hourly Settlement happening in 2021-2022 and therefore could be better after the Half Hourly Settlement changes are live.

 

The next meeting is scheduled for 13th November 2019.

IREG Update September 2019

IREG met on the 11th September 2019 and discussed the following MRA Issue Forms (MIFs) and Electricity Central Online Enquiry Service (ECOES) changes.

MIF219 – Full review of the Working Practice Product Set (WPPS)

IREG received an update of the progress of the review. IREG noted the further analysis carried out on the remaining Working Practices and agreed to continue the review. It noted that there were still Working Practices (WPs) that could be removed from the WPPS due to redundancy. As such it agreed that the drafted Change Proposal (CP) to remove WP76 could be progressed to MDB.

MIF281 – Crossed Meters

The ECOES TSP presented a revised overview of the ECOES element of the Crossed Meter solution process having considered comments made from the previous meeting’s presentation. IREG discussed whether cases should be closed when ECOES has been updated with the meter details or when settlement is corrected. One party questioned the benefit of using another system especially when this may differ to gas, however, IREG noted that Ofgem are keen to see a solution in place as it is currently mandated within the SPAA and therefore a step to delivering what will be required under the REC.IREG felt the concerns from the previous meetings presentation had been addressed by the TSP and the suggested technical amendments had been incorporated into the design. IREG were presented with the draft Crossed Meters MAP which was amended further after a workshop review. IREG walked through the redlined changes and updated the details of the updated version to agree a final draft to be taken forward. IREG agreed that the CP to introduce the new MRA Agreed Procedure for Crossed Meters could now be drafted and submitted into the change process and be presented at September’s MDB (MRA Development Board).

MIF283 – ECOES Upload to Distribution Third Party Systems

IREG were informed that the additional development work for the ECOES enhancement was due to go live in November. IREG agreed for the MIF to be closed.

MIF288 – Industry Contacts Database

IREG was informed that the upgrade to the MRASCo Industry Contacts Database was still in the User Acceptance Testing (UAT) phase. Parties were again encouraged to take part in UAT with one party agreeing to take part. A few issues had been identified which had been raised with the TSP with most issues already rectified. IREG noted that Parties had also been contacted to ensure data for the database was accurate.

MIF294 – Suppliers can require New Connection registrations, without a Meter installed, to be cancelled

The Proposer advised that the draft amendments to the BSCP’s were now with the British Gas SVG representative.  The proposer confirmed that this MIF could be parked until November when a status update was next expected.

MIF296 – Review of the Non-Domestic Customer Access to ECOES

IREG noted the papers provided. IREG discussed the fact that there are potentially some issues with the process that needed to be investigated such as what happens, when a customer within the NDC portfolio changes and not part of their portfolio, when a customer within the portfolio sells off some of that portfolio, how are those MPANs within the portfolio taken out. IREG further noted that consideration needs to be assessed regarding the access principles along with whether those companies should be included within the annual audit process. IREG agreed that this was a security issue that should be considered first at the MSC October 2019 meeting.

MIF301 – Post Implementation review of the DTC CP 3554

IREG discussed issues relating to the recently implemented changes to the D0312 Dataflow processing. These included problems validating MAP ID’s and updating historical records. IREG continued to focus on the rules that were in place to correct all D0312 related issues advising that previously these could be manually corrected in ECOES and now actions can only be fixed by issuing new D0312 Data Flows and updating their own systems. IREG discussed the need of having a guidance document to aid parties with issues that arise. IREG noted that the reject codes are set  out in the MPRS Validation Rules but do not give enough understanding as to how the validation is and what specifically is being validated as the codes are “short codes”, therefore it would be helpful to try and understanding the detail of those rules for the D0312 and D0304. This would could then either be updated in the MPRS Validation Rules or a separate guidance document could be created.

Parties were encouraged to send issue examples to understand the various scenarios that are occurring so that they can be collated for the next meeting.

MIF302 – Ceasing the Related Meter range of MTCs

The Proposer highlighted that the issue had been raised following the implementation of the new “Related MPAN Indicator (J2245) and changes to MPAS Processing for CSS. The Proposer advised that it was an opportunity to look at the option of removing the related ranges of MTCs from the MDD. The Proposer noted that they felt there were 3 options; 1) Do nothing; 2) Rationalise the range of MTCs or Remove Related MTCs from the MDD. A party noted there was a 4th option removing of the MTC’s as they were not required for billing purposes. Another party confirmed DNO’s require the MTC to map the LLFC to the SSC to ensure the correct tariff is being used and billing of DUOs charges. IREG agreed that plenty of work was required to understand the severity of the issue and whether it was too early to unpick the details at this moment in time. Other opportunities may be better timing to consider the use of MTCs such as when the Radio Tele-switches are removed or revisiting consequentially to the Smart metering roll out and the market wide Half Hourly Settlement as part of targeted review further down the line. IREG agreed the MIF should be closed.

Secure Communications

IREG were presented with an updated draft MAP and were asked for comment on the latest version. The new MAP is setting out the rules of the use of the new service. It was agreed that comments on the MAP and Access Agreement should be sent to the IREG mailbox by 20th September 2019. IREG recommended the Proper to postpone submitting the related MAP CP until the Access Agreement had been legally reviewed in case any consequential changes are needed as a result of that review. One party queried whether the related Use Cases would be incorporated into the MAP. An advisor confirmed the Use Cases will go into the URS and individual MAPS. IREG agreed the updates to the IREG ToR were sufficient and were happy for them to be presented to MDB for final approval.

Safeguarding Customer Working Group

IREG were advised that there was no new progress since there had been no meeting since the last IREG, however everything was still on track as last reported. The only significant update of note was that Utility Weekly Magazine had written a related article but there was no planned date of publication. The Energy and Water companies have requested site of the finished article before it is published. IREG were also informed SPAA voted on the related changes to the PSR codes and this was expected to align with the MRA change due for implementation in February 2020.

CSS Update to ECOES URS

IREG were advised that minor changes had been made to the URS but nothing material was changing. Changes to clause 15.2 are due to be discussed by FSEG so IREG agreed the final version of the change would be brought back to IREG next time. IREG agreed the other two additional minor changes should be approved.

 

The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday 9th October

MDB Update: July 2019

MDB was held on 25th July 2019. The table below shows the Change Proposals, voting outcomes and implementation dates.

CP ReferenceImplementation Date Outcome
MAP CP 0314 - Consequential Changes to MAP147th November 2019Accepted
DTC CP 3565 - Metering System Half Hourly Volume Adjustments for Suppliers27th February 2020Accepted

New Useful Link: Retail Energy Code Website

The Retail Energy Code Company has formally launched its new website, containing information relevant to the code, its stakeholders and the Switching Programme.

The website can be found here; a link has been added to the Useful Links page of the website.

MRA Information Event – 11th July 2019

On 11th July 2019, MRASCo hosted an MRA Information Event on Ofgem’s latest consultation on the Switching Programme.

The objective of the event was to provide an overview of the implications of the Switching Programme and the Retail Energy Code (REC) on the MRA and MRA parties.

We would like to extend a big thank you to everyone who participated, both in person and via webinar.

We are keen to hear your thoughts and have created a survey to gather any feedback you may have on the event. The survey will close on Friday 26th July 2019.

If you were unable to attend the live event, it has been recorded and the video and slides can be found here.

If you have any questions following, please do not hesitate to get in touch via MRAhelpdesk@gemserv.com.

IREG Update July 2019

IREG met on the 10th July 2019 and discussed the following MRA Issue Forms (MIFs) and Electricity Central Online Enquiry Service (ECOES) changes.

MIF219 – Full review of the Working Practice Product Set (WPPS)

IREG received an update of the progress of the review. IREG noted the further analysis carried out on the remaining Working Practices and agreed to continue the review. It noted that there were still Working Practices (WPs) that could be removed from the WPPS due to redundancy. As such it agreed that the two (2) re-drafted Change Proposals (CP) could progress to MDB.

 

MIF281 – Crossed Meters

IREG noted the final version of the drafted MRA Agreed Procedure (MAP) for the Resolution of Crossed Meters and highlighted that some of the detail in respect of ECOES usage would need to be developed before the solution could progress to a CP. IREG were provided with an update from the ex-committee workshop that took place between the ECOES Technical Service Provider (TSP), the Proposer, Gemserv and interested IREG members. IREG were advised that another workshop would take place prior to the August 2019 IREG meeting and expect to be able to present screenshots of how the ECOES element of the solution would work.

 

MIF283 – ECOES Upload to Distribution Third Party Systems

IREG received an update on the progress of MIF283 with the ECOES TSP. IREG noted that the ECOES TSP was expecting to deliver the new process for User Acceptance Testing (UAT) for 2nd September 2019 and that the solution is planned to go live in the November 2019 release. IREG were advised that any Distribution Businesses that wished to take part in the testing phase should email IREG@Gemserv.com expressing their interest.

 

MIF288 – Industry Contacts Database

IREG were advised that the MRASCo Board had approved funding for the upgrade to the MRASCo Industry Contacts Database at their last meeting. It was highlighted that UAT for the service was scheduled to begin on the 13th August 2019 and that any MRA parties wishing to take part in testing should email the IREG mailbox IREG@Gemserv.com expressing their interest. IREG noted that there would have to be a data cleanse of the existing information held, due to the new design of the data, prior to implementation.

 

MIF294 – Suppliers can require New Connection registrations, without a Meter installed, to be cancelled

The Proposer advised IREG that the issue had been presented to the Supplier Volume Allocation Group (SVG) at their last meeting and the group believed that the issue should be governed within the BSC Procedures (BCSPs). It was noted that the Proposer had been drafting a strawman solution which would be presented to SVG and progressed through the BSC Change Process.

 

MIF296 – Review of the Non-Domestic Customer Access to ECOES

IREG were presented with initial volumetric data which confirmed the number of NDC’s that currently had access to Meter Point Administration Numbers (MPANs) in ECOES. IREG noted that there would be more data presented to the group at the August 2019 meeting with a breakdown of how many MPANs each of these NDCs had access to. The Group noted the figures and discussed the issues and risks that had been identified with the current process. Gemserv agreed to map out the current end to end process for NDCs obtaining access to ECOES and present at the next meeting.

 

MIF299 – Improvements to the D0268 Half Hourly Meter Technical Details

The Proposer advised that this issue had been raised after discussions at the previous two IREG meetings on MIF278 and the wider issues with the D0268 Data Flow. IREG noted that there had been an attempt to make changes to the Data Flow in 2018 but the Proposer withdrew the CP. IREG were informed that MIF299 looked to build on the solution listed in DTC CP 3528 in order to resolve issues with interoperability following the implementation of BSC Modification P272 by adding additional Data Items to the D0268 Data Flow.

IREG discussed solution options drafted by the AMO which built upon the previous versions and considered by AM members. The group raised questions on the additional options which could be included in the Valid Set. It was suggested that an alternative solution could be to mirror the structure of D0313 Data Flow, IREG agreed that this was a valid suggestion and the Proposer agreed that they would raise a Solutions Pre Assessment Form (SPF) and circulate to industry in order to gauge the opinion of all parties engaged with the D0268 Data Flow.

 

Safeguarding Customer Working Group Update

IREG received a verbal update from the previous Safeguarding Customer Working Group (SGCWG) highlighting,

DTC CP 3566 – Refining the list of valid codes for the J1699.  This change was accepted at MDB 19_0627 with an implementation date of 27th February 2020. The associated SPAA change went to the SPAA Change Board on Tuesday 14th May and has been assigned the reference SCP 471.  It was issued out for a 30 WD consultation on 11th June 2019.  Impact Assessment responses are due back on 25th July and the SPAA Change Board Vote will take place on 13th August 2019.  The proposed implementation date is February 2020. A high-level testing design document has been shared with SCWG members for comments and agreement.

The next SCWG meeting has been proposed for 17th July.  The agenda items will include a review of the third-party service providers’ proposals for mapping MPANs to the relevant water company serving that property.  It is anticipated that a final decision will be made to enable the chosen company to start building the system. Weekly contact continues by the joint leads of the project.  The next full Joint Programme Board has been proposed for 22nd July, to review progress of all sectors/participants. The energy sector is continuing to work with water companies to achieve the targets set out by Ofgem of sharing PSR data by April 2020.  WPD has been approached by individual water companies to visit our offices and observe our PSR process and interaction with customers when responding to PSR requirements.

 

Secure Communications

IREG were advised that discussions are on-going with the TSP in respect of running a workshop to outline how the solution will work and to clarify any questions. IREG considered the development of the User Requirement Specification (URS) for the solution and agreed that this should be developed as a new separate version to the current ECOES version. IREG noted that the Change Proposals for the MRA and SPAA are out for Impact Assessment and that the access arrangements are being developed through MEC.

 

Next Meeting

The next meeting is scheduled for 14th August 2019.

MDB Update: June 2019

MDB was held on 27th June 2019. The table below shows the Change Proposals, voting outcomes and implementation dates.

CP Reference Implementation Date Outcome
DTC CP 3566 - Refining the list of valid codes for the J169927th February 2020Accepted
DTC CP 3565 - New Metering System Half Hourly Volume Adjustments for Suppliers27th February 2020Deferred for IA
MRA CP 0261 - Consequential changes to MRA Schedule 2 and Schedule 31st August 2019Accepted
WPPS CP 0183 - Delete WP137 from WPPS7th November 2019Accepted
WPPS CP 0184 - Delete WP71 from WPPS7th November 2019Accepted
WPPS CP 0185 - Delete WP99 from WPPS7th November 2019Accepted
WPPS CP 0186 - Delete WP106 from WPPS7th November 2019Accepted
WPPS CP 0187 - Delete WP109 from WPPS7th November 2019Accepted
WPPS CP 0188 - Delete WP113 from WPPS7th November 2019Accepted
WPPS CP 0189 - Delete WP149 from WPPS7th November 2019Accepted

IREG Update June 2019

IREG met on 12th June 2019 and discussed the following MRA Issue Forms (MIFs) and Electricity Central Online Enquiry Service (ECOES) changes.

MIF219 – Full review of the Working Practice Product Set (WPPS)

IREG received an update of the progress of the review. IREG noted the further analysis carried out on the remaining Working Practices and agreed to continue the review. It noted that there were still Working Practices (WPs) that could be removed from the WPPS due to redundancy or included within a review of processes linked to the D0268 Data Flow. As such, it agreed the one (1) drafted Change Proposals (CP) as they were consequential changes to MAP14 since the noted Working Practices had already been withdrawn and could progress to MDB.

MIF278 – Gap with HH Change of Meter Operator

IREG reviewed the current position of the MIF noting some comments had been received previously from the Meter Operators via the RFI agreeing that the Manufacturers Make and Type should be made Mandatory in line with the D0150 and D0303 Data Flows, however there were very low volumes that actually were issued without the Manufacturer Make and Type being completed.

IREG highlighted that any future changes would need to cognisant of the move to the CSS for switching and IREG agreed for this MIF to be closed and be incorporated within a new D0268 specific MIF that was in train.

MIF281 – Crossed Meters

IREG noted the draft procedure developed had been shared with the ECOES Technical Service Provider to develop an outline ECOES solution for the procedure. The high-level outline of deliverables was provided to the group for their initial comments. The group noted a workshop would take place to refine the ECOES solution. IREG noted that once the outline solution is understood then other work will be required in developing the Change Proposal and the case for change.

MIF285 – Review of the Valid Set codes under the J1253 and use of the J0024 to better describe a change of energisation status rejection

The Proposer updated IREG on their considerations to the responses received back from the RFI which was issued in February regarding the options to fix the issue raised. The Proposer noted that original processes set up and codes used within the J1253 were in the main from a Meter Operator point of view and there were scenarios’ where a Distribution Business could not advise on the correct reason for the Energisation rejection because there were insufficient codes to select and hence raising the MIF. A member highlighted that a previous MIF, 100 had been raised which was very similar but rejected. The Proposer noted that they felt from the responses there were still issues in this area. The Proposer advised that their preference was for option 1 and amend the Logical Format for the J1253 Data Item to CHAR2 as if the change was approved the consequential changes could be made for the additional scenarios identified. IREG discussed the best approach to take the solution forward and agreed that option 1 was the correct solution therefore would be better to raise a Change Proposal rather than going through an SPF. The Proposer agreed that they would take that forward and raise the CP.

MIF288 – Industry Contacts Database

IREG reviewed the high-level Impact Assessment carried out by the website Technical Service Provider. IREG noted that that a few the requirements discussed at the last meeting could be developed, however, the bulk update requirement would require significant effort due to the data security and trying to minimise loss of data and quality when opening a spreadsheet. The TSP felt that the same result could be delivered through creating a proper database and being able then to set people up and then could select the roles those people would be undertaking. IREG agreed to the proposals and recommended a request is made to MRASCo Board to release funds to enable the developments to be completed.

MIF290 – Licence Exempt Network Indicator

IREG were advised that the Indicator was a requirement for the Ofgem Switching Programme although not a need for the introduction of the CSS. There had been a joint BSC/MRA Working Group which had initial discussions on what the solutions could be, however, further work had been suspended due to Ofgem carrying out an internal review first. This review had been completed and the outcome issued within the paper pack. Similarly, within the papers there was an update from the AMO to why Meter Operators would find it helpful to have this Indicator in place too and whether the two requirements could be addressed through the Ofgem needs may need reviewing.

IREG highlighted that there were a few questions which needed driving out before a solution could be agreed. How to identify the Private Network, what the processes are which are in place to create and manage a Private Network and what issues have the MOps in managing their or their customer assets on the network.

IREG advised that where a customer who was on the Private Network wanted to take advantage of selecting their own Supplier, they would apply for an MPAN from the DNO and then select a Supplier via the switching services. IREG noted that potentially a Supplier may not need the flag if the customer has the MPAN and switch via MPAS, but the MOp may need to know if managing the meter that sat on the network.

IREG noted that the processes for interacting with a Private Network primarily sit outside of the MRA mainly in the BSC for impacts on Settlements and DCUSA for charging and where the MPAS obligations land in the future. IREG recommended that a new Cross Code Working Group was set up including BSC, DCUSA and MRA representation to explore how a solution could be developed and to update Ofgem on the discussions.

MIF292 – Lower Case Meter Serial Numbers

The Chair presented the MIF and reminded IREG that the issue had been identified by FSEG whereby MPRS will be processing the D0312 and D0304 Data Flows under the new arrangements from the June 2019 release and that the data received within those Data Flows will be converted and stored in uppercase and any subsequent response data within the Data Flows are sent out in uppercase. The issue was believed to impact Meter Operators (MOps) and Supplier systems if they are expecting the MSN back in lowercase. IREG were advised that within ECOES there were approximately 2000 MSN records, current and historic that are in lowercase.

IREG noted that at the May meeting they had suggested that a note was added to the ECOES URS as that would be a more cost-effective option as the numbers in that situation was likely to reduce over time going forward. IREG reviewed the drafted note set out in the papers and a member advised that a purer solution would be to add the note to the J0004 (Meter Id (Serial Number) Data Item within the Data Transfer Catalogue as the physical serial numbers were in lower case and thus the Meter Operator would have a clear rule to which they should adhere. A member agreed to raise a Change Proposal to add a note that when sending the J0004 (Meter Id (Serial Number) Data Item it should be in Uppercase. IREG agreed to close the MIF.

MIF296 – Review of Non-Domestic Customer Access to ECOES

The Proposer advised that this had been raised following the recent review of the standard ECOES Access processes and that this process had not been incorporated within that review. There were some known issues within the process such as when a Supplier approves an NDC access to view an MPAN there was no process to review the access meaning an NDC could keep their access to the MPAN after a COT had occurred. In some cases, access had been given to a consultant or TPI and their access could not be removed at the end of the customer contract. Similarly, just need to ensure that the process is now GDPR compliant. IREG agreed that the review of the end to end process should be taking place and ironing out any deficiencies within it to make it compliant.

MIF297 – Use of the D0304 Data Flow from MOp to Supplier in a New Connection Scenario

IREG highlighted that these processes were all set out in the BSC in that the D0304 was only sent on a change of MAP and outcome fed back to the Proposer.

MIF298 – Inclusion of Bulk Updates for Logical Disconnections in MAP21

The Proposer advised that this issue since the Impact Assessment of MAP CP 0312 it was identified that there was no designated process within MAP21 on how both Distributors and Suppliers should progress a bulk update in respect of logical disconnections. It is possible that with the current data cleansing activity that the industry is currently undertaking this could result in a significant increase in the number of logical disconnection requests going forward and as such a process requires to be put in place to manage this.  The Proposer highlighted the solution could be adding wording into MAP21 such that it was expected that a bulk update will consist of at least 50 or more logical disconnection requests at any one time – this number is based on the bulk update threshold that was introduced as part of the additional MPAN request process in ECOES. It is expected that the initiating Supplier will contact the relevant Distributor and bi-laterally agree a solution based on the overall number of requests that the Supplier wishes to logically disconnect.   IREG agreed that the wording could cover off the Bulk updates for Logical Disconnections. The Proposer agreed to close the MIF and draft a Change Proposal ready for July19 MDB.

Review of MAP27 v1.1 Procedure for Requesting Additional Import Export MPANS

IREG noted that the process went live in the February 2019 release and MDB had agreed for a post implementation review to take place in June 2019. IREG were advised that there was a link between the review and delivery of the solution agreed under MIF283 (ECOES Upload to Distribution Third Party Systems) as any changes would need changes to the output files too.

IREG were advised that the process seemed to be received well although some feedback had been received on some areas as to how when the Supplier raises a request for an MPAN creation, they select the DNO MPID from a drop-down list at times they were incorrectly assigned and the fact that a Party could not take any further action until a response was received. IREG agreed these should be investigated as to whether these are as set out in the specifications. IREG advised that filtering of requests and users along with option to download the reports were already within the system.

IREG agreed that the solution for MIF283 (ECOES Upload to Distribution Third Party Systems) could now been progressed through the ECOES TSP. Their preference being within the November 2019 Release.

Safeguarding Customer Working Group

IREG received a verbal update from the previous Safeguarding Customer Working Group (SGCWG) highlighting that that testing plans are in development to test water sector DTN. IREG noted that MPAN address mapping to the water sector was being explored and recommendations following last month’s IREG regarding the ECOES API, which could be utilised, but exploring their own options currently.  IREG noted that some of the DNOs will be looking to issue test D0225s where they have consent to hold and pass customer information on. IREG were advised that these obligations were introduced some time ago through a combination of Water UK, Ofgem, Ofwat obligations and commence next year.

 

 

Next meeting

The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday 10th July 2019.